Monday, November 1, 2010

Forty First Visit to Taft

I thought after 40 visits to Taft I would know the route in my sleep and would have seen everything there is to see along the way. Every cow, horse, diner, motel and gas station. But alas, today I saw something that took my breath away. I saw a field of what looked like wild horses (a dozen or so) racing in the wind. Oh, what a sight. I happen to be a huge horse lover, so this really thrilled me. All those times I've passed them and never seen them. It goes to show you can always see something new in looking at the old.

After that wonderful early morning sight I arrived at Taft, and we had one of our best visits ever. Our son David with us for about two hours, which is always a delight. The rest of the time we spent deep in conversation. The topic of the day was "How will friends and acquaintances react to Ron when he returns home?" This is a popular topic with inmates close to release. It's easy to be supportive of an inmate when he's in prison, but when he gets home will he fit into your social circle, will he embarass you, or will he intrigue you? It will be interesting to see what occurs. Many people will want to befriend him or refriend (I know that's not a word) him because he will add something to the mix. He will always have interesting stories to share that will intrigue and astonish others. But will people treat him as he was treated before, the funny, witty and thoroughly unique Ron, or will they treat him as Ron, the ex con? As I've said all along, Ron's prison experience will only add another dimension to his personality and in my opinion, make him more interesting. I hope to enjoy many years hearing his new stories.

I have always said that life with Ron has not been boring. In fact it has been fascinating, and anyone who knows him well knows what I am talking about. Coming home is scary for all inmates. They have been sheltered in prison, some for a very long time, and although everyone says relationships will go on as before, you don't know until it happens. Talking about this topic is just another way the Taft campers pass their idle time. Thinking about the future and how they will be accepted when they return to society is always on their mind. Everyone wants to fit in, and Taft campers have a unique challenge. I am confident that my camper will shine.

Next week I will talk about how Ron's concept of time has changed. You may be surprised at what he has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment