Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Smashburger Has Come To Del Mar


I've been waiting months for the opening of Smashburger in Del Mar and finally had an opportunity to try it today. It's a burger chain, new to Southern California, and although we've got plenty of burger joints to choose from, I always like to see what's new. A few women from our book club had lunch there today, and we all came away very content.

Smashburger is located on the corner of 15th Street and Camino Del Mar, on the street level of the Del Mar Plaza. They have comfortable booths inside, and tables and umbrellas on the front patio. It is clean, contemporary and uncluttered. The help is friendly and efficient. Prices are moderate. 1/3 pound burgers start at $4.99, although add ons make them more. Drinks are only $1.79, and fries and onion rings are $1.99 per order. The menu is straightforward, and there are choices for the carnivore and vegetarian alike.

I had the classic burger with an order of fried pickles and ranch dressing and a soda. I enjoyed my burger. The bun was fresh and tasty, the burger was good, and the toppings were fresh and crisp. (lettuce, pickles and tomato). My only complaint is the same one I have about many burger restaurants these days. They won't make a rare burger. I love a rare burger, and the best they'll do is medium. That kind of spoils the whole thing for me, but if you don't mind your meat a little more cooked, you'll be very happy. The fried pickles were just ok. However, the fries were delicious, nice and thin like McDonald's. The onion rings, which I didn't eat, were thin and crispy, and looked delicious. Judy had a salad, topped with grilled chicken, cranberries, nuts and a nice vinegrette. Jack had a breaded chicken sandwich and said he enjoyed that too. Smashburger also offers hot dogs and milk shakes, made with Haagen Dazs ice cream.

The meal is brought to you on a cute little tray. I loved the presentation. I would definitely go there again. No one rushes you and the meal is good. Is it my favorite burger? Not at all. I love Hodad's in Ocean Beach and The Claim Jumper. Those are probably my two favorites. But Smashburger is a nice choice for good, fresh food, and oh yes, they also offer a children's menus, so take the kids or grandkids next time you're in Del Mar.

No comments:

Post a Comment