Friday, December 13, 2019

It's Time For Persimmons

I'm surprised at how many people I know have never tried a persimmon, in fact, when shown one, don't even know what it is.  I had a prolific persimmon (American type) in my backyard in Los Angeles, so I was busy eating and cooking with them every fall for many years.  I also had a neighbor who had several trees, and graciously shared them with neighbors.  I couldn't possibly eat them all, so I waited for them to ripen, then cut them in half, took the stem off, and froze them in baggies for eating during the rest of the year.  Frozen persimmons are the perfect sweet treat.  Just let them defrost a bit, then eat.  They are soft and ever so sweet.  It wasn't until I moved to San Diego that I discovered the more popular persimmon, the Japanese variety called Fuya.  

American persimmons are called Hacyiya, and were native to this country, eaten by Native Americans.  They become available in the fall.  They are a deep orange, and must be extremely ripe and soft before eating.  If you happen to eat an unripe Hicyiva, you will regret it.  It is tannic, and the taste left in your mouth is horrible, but hard to describe.  On the other hand, Fuya persimmons, are smaller and should be eaten when hard, like an apple.  Fuya persimmons were brought to this country by the Japanese.  I remove the top stem and quarter them.  They are so delicious.  

Many recipes use persimmons.  A holiday favorite is persimmon pudding, dark brown in color, very sweet, and topped with whipped cream.  Fuya persimmons are often cut and added to salads.  Hachiya are used more in baking, like persimmon cookies, puddings, jams and butters.  

If you have never tasted one, I suggest you do.  Just remember, if you get the Hacyiva type, be sure it is very soft, almost mushy, before eating.  The Fuya you can eat right away.  Persimmons are one of the fruits that I look forward to every fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment