Monday, December 9, 2019

Why Do So Many Restaurants Serve Bad Coffee?

It's not a problem finding a good cup of coffee in San Diego.  The problem is, most of the good coffee is served in cafes or coffee houses, not in restaurants.  Starbucks, Peets, Coffee Bean, Bird Rock, Better Buzz and Philz are just some of the many coffee houses serving great coffee.  Now, go to a coffee shop, a place where they serve breakfast and lunch, and try to find a good cup of coffee.  That's a challenge.

Several years ago I decided that if I ordered a cup of coffee in a restaurant and it wasn't good, I would send it back and have it removed from the bill.  Now when I order coffee I always ask, "Is it good, because if it's not, don't bring it."  I usually get one of two answers:  1.  Well, it's really not very good, or 2.  It's pretty good, and I'll bring you a cup and if you don't like it, I'll take it back.  Almost never does a server unequivocally tell me the coffee is good.  Two exceptions:  Shorehouse Kitchen in Carlsbad  and Breakfast Republic in Encinitas both have great coffee. 

Other favorites that I frequent for breakfast do not have good coffee, so I stop at Starbucks first and bring my Starbucks to breakfast.  The Broken Yolk,  The Tamarack Pie Shop, 101 Diner in Encinitas (one of my favorite breakfast places, but the coffee is no good).  I could go on and on.  Why can't they make a good cup of coffee?  Restaurants could add 25cents to the cost of the coffee and buy good coffee.  I just don't get it.  I also don't get why anyone drinks bad coffee when good coffee is just a few steps away.

No restaurant has ever asked me not to bring my Starbucks into their restaurant.  I don't think they will, but if they do, I will have a lot to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment