Friday, December 27, 2019

Spreading Kindness By Feeding The Meter

Kindness Meters is the visionary idea of Carlton Lund, who years ago wanted to do something to bring kindness to the community, and make Carlsbad America's Kindest City.  So far, Carlsbad does not have parking meters, but they now have several kindness meters.  The purpose is for people who stroll around Carlsbad Village, to put extra coins in the kindness meters in order to raise money for local charities.  With the help of Taylor Made Golf's $225,000 and IPS Group, Inc. who donated the meters, Carlsbad is working toward becoming America's kindest city.

In this age of bullying that has reached an extreme level, it is refreshing to see that some people are trying to reverse the trend.  Movements like Pay it Forward and Kindness Meters do this.  I've been told that many high schools and colleges now have kindness clubs.  One of the most meaningful characteristics you can help develop in your children is kindness.  Children learn by example, so if parents show kindness toward others, children will too.

Ron and I were out for dinner not long ago.  We were in the parking lot, and I was putting him in the car, folding up the wheelchair, and putting it in the trunk.  Along comes a little boy, maybe 11 years old, who had been eating in the restaurant and was sent out to his parents car to get something for them.  The boy could see I was having a difficult time, so he politely came over to me and asked if he could help me.  That was so unexpected, and I was so impressed.  I didn't need his help, but I thanked him and told him how proud I was of his kindess, and that his parents must be very proud of him.

Look for the Kindness Meter next time you're in Carlsbad.  The one I saw is at the corner of Carlsbad Village Drive and Highway 101.  Donations made to the meter will be used to help local charities.

By the way, hardly a day goes by when I am out with Ron that someone, often a young man or woman 18-30, don't ask if they can help me.  When people first started asking to help I thought it was just an isolated situation, but now I know how truly kind the people in the San Diego are.  I get offers for help all the time, and I so appreciate it.  Keep your kindness coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment