Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cupcakes: Are They Here to Stay?


Well of course they're here to stay, but are the cupcake shops that are becoming so popular just a fad? I'm not exactly sure where the cupcake frenzy began, either New York or Los Angeles, but it's been around for awhile. Two years ago I went to Sprinkles Cupcakes in Beverly Hills, as I had heard this was the new "In " place. The line was out the door. I waited at least 20 minutes to buy my lemon cupcake with lemon cream frosting. I was not impressed. It was good, but not great, and certainly not worth $3.75 (I think that was the price).

Several cupcake shops have opened in the San Diego area. In the Gaslamp you can visit Heavenly Cupcakes (wwwheavenlycupcakes.com). They have many flavors which vary from day to day. Carrot, chocolate mint, banana chip, lemon, orange chip, peanut butter and s'mores are just some of the flavors available. They are good, with a nice moist cake. Most cupcakes are $3.

Another cupcake shop opened recently in Solana Beach. It is called Cupcake Love. I've been there several times, and sampled a few flavors. Coconut cream dream, lemon, German Chocolate, and cinnamon swirl are all delicious. What I especially like is that they have little bite sized cupcakes for $1.75, for those that just want a taste.

Bristol Farms in La Jolla has the most delicious cupcakes imaginable. They are huge, loaded with frosting, and cannot be eaten in one sitting. For my birthday this year I had a little party at Station Sushi with my friend Molly, who is one day older than me. We had about 10 people for lunch, and our friend Paula brought cupcakes from Bristol Farms for dessert. They were great. I don't know the cost, but one cupcake is big enough for two.

So, are the cupcake shops here to stay, or will they go the way of the dodo bird? Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be investing my money in a cupcake shop. I think in a few years they'll go the way of the croissant shops of the 80's. You'll find them in bakeries, just the way you always did. Cupcakes are here to stay, but cupcake shops, that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment