Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My First Tomato Harvest


I planted my garden at the end of March, and I figured by the first of June I would have more tomatoes than I knew what to do with. Not the case. The two tomatoes you see here is my first harvest. Pretty pathetic. I have, however, figured out the reason.


When I lived in LA my tomatoes took about 60 days to reach maturity. The reason was that we were about four miles inland, had more sun, and hotter days. Here in Carlsbad we have had nothing but overcast weather for the past few months, and when the sun does come out it is late afternoon and my tomatoes are in shade. I figure that July and August will bring my tomato plants to maturity. I can't wait, as I have many tomato recipes, and I will share some with you shortly. There's nothing like a fresh, ripe tomato with a little kosher salt. Yum.


My herbs are all doing wonderfully well. Squash is a big failure, so far. My yellow squash grows about four inches and stops, the same with the cucumbers. For those that live inland, anything in the squash family will do very well. Here on the coast we have to be patient to get big tomatoes, and wait for the fall, when the temperature will be perfect for autumn vegetables.


Lunch today will be the yellow tomato (pictured above) sliced, with buffalo mozarella, kosher salt, and basil. In short, a caprese salad. I can't wait for lunch today.


No comments:

Post a Comment