Friday, October 16, 2009

More New Restaurants

Not long ago I blogged about all the new restaurants that were opening in north county, and how, in this difficult economic climate, it was surprising to me. Well, here are a few more restaurants that have either recently opened or are opening soon. I guess money lending is loosening up, or else there are a lot of people sitting around with a lot of cash. With the failure rate in the restaurant business so high, it just amazes me how many people are giving it a try. I'm glad they are. It gives all of us more to choose from.

In the Bressi Ranch Center where the new Trader Joe's and Stater Bros are, Tommy V's is planning to open another restaurant. They closed in Carlsbad about nine months ago, but will reopen in a new location. Their food was delicious, but expensive. Perhaps their prices will be a bit lower in the new location.

In the spot where Tommy V's closed, you will find Thai Pasta. I haven't tried it yet, but it does sound interesting.

In Encinitas, on Highway 101, a new restaurant, Barracuda is coming soon. This is a location that has never been successful. It was French, then a wine bar. Perhaps a fish restaurant will make it.

In the Lumberyard, there has been a restaurant under construction for several months now, called.......I don't know when their opening is scheduled, but it sounds like the type of restaurant Encinitas will support.

In Del Mar, there is a new yogurt shop called Swirls. I was there yesterday. It is the most expensive of the self serves that I have been to recently. They charge 39 cents per ounce for yogurt. Very Berry in Encinitas charges 35 cents, and Yogurtland (my favorite) in Pacific Beach and Little Italy charge only 30 cents. That's a 30% difference in price. Also, Swirls had a very limited selection of fresh fruit toppings.

In Carmel Valley in the Carmel Village Center, is a new place I'd love to try. It's called Volacano Grill and Mai Tai Bar. It's a blend of Asian and Hawaiian, with ribs and plenty of other appetizers. Sounds like it's great for a snack and a drink, or a full dinner. If anyone has tried it, please let me know.

So here are more places for us to try. If you have new places you know of that are opening soon, or have recently opened, please let me know. I'm delighted to see how many businesses are trying to get going at this time. It gives me great hope that things are going in the right direction. I just hope they can stay busy and open.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susie,
    The Volcano Grill sounds great...I love a good Mai Tai, so I on the internet to check it out...looks like it is a long drive away...Carmel Valley, CA as in Carmel/Monterey!
    Darn...Marlene

    ReplyDelete