Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bright Green Future

There is so much buzz today about "going green", and many communities are working hard to reduce waste,construct buildings that are more efficient, and create new jobs that will help with job recovery. A conference called "Bright Green Future" will take place in San Diego on November 6, and I'm going to try to be a part of it.

I checked out their website, and many of the details of the conference are not yet available, but I'm marking my calendar now, as they will need plenty of volunteers. Many of the conference speakers will be experts in their fields, but I am sure they will need many volunteers to help make the conference a success.

Topics that will be addressed during the conference include green business, jobs and training, green architecture and construction, climate change, zero waste, and sustainable life. One topic that caught my eye was "Victory Gardens". I would love to see San Diegans get into gardening. When I lived in Los Angeles I worked at a community garden helping locals plant and cultivate their own fruit and vegetables. Some families got involved for economic reasons. It's a huge savings to a family to grow your own vegetables, and the added benefit is that the family will eat a healthier diet. Studies have shown that low income families eat a poorer diet, the main reason being cost. Fruits and vegetables cost much more than rice and beans. I would love to get involved in such a project.

Another topic that I thought sounded interesting was "Developing a Zero Waste Business Plan". Many forward thinking businesses are trying hard to recycle or reuse everything in their business. This is a lofty goal, and with some help from experts more businesses can try to achieve this and contribut to zero waste, the ultimate goal.

Lots of topics will be discusses and hopefully some ideas for putting these ideas into practice will help San Diego solve the economic and environmental challenges of the future. Check out www.brightgreenfuture.net after September 15 for more information on where, when and how you can get involved in this important event.

No comments:

Post a Comment