Monday, February 11, 2013

Having Fun, The Senior Way

Last week I had a few friends over to watch the movie Quartet. I'm lucky to have access to first run movies. My mom still gets some movies that are up for academy award consideration sent to her, for her personal enjoyment, as my dad was a voting member of the academy for decades. Even though he is no longer here, many studios continue to send my mom movies. She thought I would enjoy this delightful film, and I did. As space is at a premium in my home, I invited just a few friends over for an afternoon. We watched the film, ate and talked. We all loved the movie, but more than that, loved being together. We are a diverse group (in interests and background), yet we meld together so beautifully. Jan is a photographer, and through the film she kept asking where it was shot, and I said that it looked like just outside London. At the end of the film Jan commented that there was a tree in the front of the house that did not look like something that would be growing in that part of the world. (Jan is also a horticulture expert). Carol, a former elementary school principal, said , "Oh I noticed that too, and it almost ruined the whole movie for me!" (LOL) We started a really funny conversation back and forth about the tree, and who in the world would notice the tree except Jan? Wouldn't you know, she went home, researched where the film was shot, found out that it was just outside of London, and that oak trees do grow in that part of the world. Just a little example of how we all learned something from one person's attention to detail and curiosity. So why do I call this blog having fun the senior way? Because we have many women in our group that can no longer do the active things we used to enjoy together, like golf, tennis and swimming. One woman has a serious eye condition, another woman, while training for the Carlsbad Marathon, strained her foot and cannot do the active things she once did (for now anyway), another has back problems, and then there's me, with my knee problem. We're a motley crew, but the one thing we can still do is think and talk. We do a good job of both, and because we all have different interests, we all have something to bring to the conversation. You've probably been asked the question "If you had a party and could only invite 8 people, who would you have there?" Well, these women would all definitely add to any party. Smart, curious, funny and non judgemental are characteristics that make them people you want to be with. I recently read that one of the best ways to stay healthy was to associate with positive people. Makes good sense. As we age we need to be realistic about what we can and can't do. Even as our bodies tell us we can't do the physical things we used to, our minds are still sharp as ever, and we can learn something everyday. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. My mom is my role model for aging. She is close to 90 (I hope she doesn't mind my saying that), plays bridge several times a week, goes to theatre, opera and movies, throws dinner parties, goes to art galleries, belongs to a book club and continues to take classes at UCLA, OSHA, and other schools. Don't ask her about current affairs, books, theatre or Wall Street. You could be overwhelmed at what she knows and you don't. Our mind never stops working, so as we age and modify our activities, remember to keep your mind active, and sharing your knowledge and humor with friends, makes senior life so much more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment