Wednesday, February 27, 2013

One Thing Leads To Another

I was recently watching TV, when I saw a commercial for USAA. One of the actors caught my eye. I knew him! He's actually not an actor, just a USAA member, but was chosen for the commercial because they were trying to represent that USAA passes from one generation to another. His children and grandchildren were also in the commercial. I do not know them, but I recognized Harry right away. He is a 98 year old man, and long time friend of my parents. I hadn't seen him in several years, since my father died, and was happy to see that he is still active and healthy. Seeing Harry reminded me of his past, which I will share with you here. Harry was a doctor, and that most likely saved his life during World War 11. He was in the Pacific, was captured by the Japanese, and as a POW served as the camp doctor. The Japanese needed doctors, so Harry was given extra food and better treatment. Treatment generally was horrific, and Harry was involved in the Bataan Death March in 1942, which historians describe as one of the worst atrocities of the war. Thousands of Philippino and American prisoners died during the 80 mile walk from one camp to another. They were starved, beaten and tortured. Harry survived all this, and went on to live a productive life as husband, father, and doctor. Harry talked very little about these wartime horrors during the time I knew him. He never went into detail, but in recent years he has joined a group of WW 11 veterans who get together to try to resolve old issues. You see, when the men came home from WW 11 there were no support groups, there were no psychological services to help those with PTSD (they didn't even have a name for that yet), and they really didn't have time to work out the psychological effects of war. They were too busy working and taking care of their families. So here it is, 60+ years later, and the few remaining survivors are working through things that have been eating at them for years. Better late than never. Finally, my mom called Harry today, and told him how much we enjoyed his commercial, and just to catch up, as they don't see much of each other anymore. Harry told her that he is the only remaining survivor from his batallion. He was a true hero to the men in his outfit, and remains an inspiration to others. I am privileged to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment