Friday, March 28, 2014

Use Your Local Library

Your local library is a wealth of information, education, recreation and socialization. I recently got an IPad, which I didn't think I needed, but now use daily. Not having a Nook or Kindle, the first thing I did was head to my local library to learn how to check out e-books. Fantastic! I know most of you probably buy the books you read on your Nook or Kindle, but you can check them out from the library, just as do any other book. Yes, you've got to set up the program, but after that, you check out books and put books on hold just as you would library book. I'm going to Colorado soon, and I have just downloaded Jeffrey Toobin's, The Nine (about the supreme court), which I'll read on the plane.

I've been listening to audio books for years. Mysteries are great to listen to. It takes me about 2 weeks of listening, as I go about my daily errands listening to the book, 5-15 minutes at a time. You can also download audio books onto either your IPad or IPod, and this is great for long walks. Finally, there are "playback" books. I think that's what they're called. You need to provide a AAA battery to use these audio books, but my library has a great selection.

In addition to books, the library offers many other services. Our local library has at least 4 monthly book clubs, focusing on different genres. It has movies, lectures, computer labs, classes and discussions. I recently went to my local library and listened to Alan Brennert, author of Palisades Park, talk about his book and his career. The library truly offers something for everyone, even if you're not an avid reader. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment