Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Panca Peruvian Cuisine and Rotisserie

I've driven by Panca hundreds of times.  It's on Coast Highway in Oceanside, just north of Vista Way.  I thought it was just a sandwich and chicken shack, but when we finally went there one Saturday night, I was pleasantly surprised.  When it's busy, parking is a bit of an issue, as it shares the parking lot with the Laundromat next door.  It's a family oriented restaurant, very casual, friendly, with great service.  Don't be scared off by the fact that it's Peruvian.  The food is fantastic, the portions are generous, and once you try it, you'll definitely be back.

It's a small restaurant, maybe 10 tables, but the dining room feels spacious.  I like the fact that they do not serve bread before the meal.  That way I can save room for what I actually ordered, and enjoy it. We each ordered an entrée, then split dessert.  Next time I will explore the many appetizers on the menu.

Appetizers include ceviche, scallop wonton, quinoa cakes (quinoa mixed with a five cheese blend and deep fried), and Anticuchos (beef heart marinated in Peruvian spices, skewered and served with a side of Peruvian corn, salsa and grilled potatoes.  There are several other appetizer items that all sound very flavorful.  Salads include a Caesar, quinoa and house salad.  Ron's friend John has been eating at Panca since it opened, and always gets one of the many Peruvian sandwiches, like chicken sandwich, chicharron sandwich, lomito and a vegetarian sandwich.

Rotisserie Chicken is their specialty, and it sure looked delicious.  For $7.50 you can get 1/4chicken, with salad and a side.  Everyone eating the chicken raved.  Ron and I tried one of the several delicious sounding entrees.  Ron had Lomo Saltado, one of their most popular entrees.  It's tender beef sautéed with soy sauce, red onion, tomato and fresh cut French fries with a side of fluffy Peruvian rice.  Ron at it all.  I had the Aji de Gallina, chicken in a creamy spicy sauce with Parmesan, Peruvian yellow pepper and walnuts, served over a bed
of potato and a side of rice.  I cleaned my plate.  The entrees are all $12-$14, and sandwiches are $8.25.

Now, for dessert.  We shared the caramel crème brulee, not like any you've had before.  This was sweet and delicious, almost like Mexican flan.  I wanted the quinoa passion fruit mousse too, but was just too full.  Another time.

Panca has been open since 2012, and I expect it will be around for a long time.  Great food, great service, nice atmosphere and reasonable prices.  It's a winner, and I encourage you to try it if you're in the area.  Lunch and dinner only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment