Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Join Me For Linner or Dunch

I was having my nails done the other day, and the TV in the nail salon was tuned to some silly talk show I had never seen before.  The panel was talking about linner (meal served between lunch and dinner)or dunch (another word for linner, meaning, meal served between lunch and dinner), typically around 3-5pm.  What a great marketing tool by the restaurants.  Three o'clock is a dead time in a restaurant.  Lunch service is over, and there's a little quiet time before the dinner rush.  Not anymore.

Many are saying that linner may become the new brunch.  It really appeals to me.  I'm up early, having an early breakfast, usually an early lunch. and between 3-4pm I'm ready for dinner.  It's probably much better to eat a large meal in the late afternoon, anyway.  Working people, especially those with young families, could have a big meal right after the work day, then go home and enjoy the family.  It sounds like a great idea to me.  The only problem I see is that it might interfere with Happy Hour, a mainstay in American dining, that typically runs from 4-6pm.

So now we have the following dining choices:  Continental breakfast for those that just want coffee and toast in the early morning, breakfast, brunch, lunch, linner or dunch, happy hour, early bird dinner, regular dinner and late night dinner.  So many choices.  What will you choose?  Breakfast, lunch and dinner, or breakfast, lunch and linner?

No comments:

Post a Comment