Wednesday, September 26, 2018

A Day In Balboa

Several years ago our boogie boarding group decided to take a day to explore Balboa Island, just about an hour north of San Diego.  We had so much fun, we decided to do it again.  This time we invited some of the old boogie boarding group and a few others who we thought would enjoy the day.

Sixteen of us carpooled up to Balboa on a beautiful Tuesday in September.  I even got to ride in a Tesla.  What a treat.  Anyway, we first explored the town, with it's beachy upscale shops and restaurants, then walked to the ferry.  We passed $4-$10 million dollar homes, most with beautiful gardens in front.  The homes in Balboa were once little cottages, so the lots are not big, and homes are very close together.  Homes are practically on the street, with maybe only 10 feet between the house and the sidewalk.  Regardless, the houses are just gorgeous.  We took a quick ride on the car/pedestrian  ferry across to the island.  Here we got our instructions for the the two Duffy boats we rented for the next few hours.  I captained one boat, Fran the other.  We brought our lunches on board, and spent the next two hours  eating, drinking, and pretty much laughing non stop!  I don't think they'll  ask me to drive the boat again.

Driving the Duffy boat was more difficult than I thought.  I couldn't keep the damn think straight, and I was constantly turning the wheel side to side to keep straight.  I had a boat full of back seat drivers.  We had a map that was supposed to show us where all the famous people had lived, John Wayne and others, but we had trouble finding the houses, so we  made up our own stories about who lived in them.  Who would know the difference?  None of us, nor did we care.

Back on land after I nearly hit the ferry twice and a large pleasure boat once, I was exhausted.  I had a two hour workout of my upper arms.  It was a lot of laughs, and I arrived home around 4pm.  What a fun day with 16 great women.  Can't wait to go again.  We had a whole bag of water taffy to sweeten up the trip, which we all thought would never be eaten, but alas, we ate it all, and no one lost a crown!

No comments:

Post a Comment