Friday, September 14, 2018

Red Snapper Salad

My neighbor Max goes fishing a few times a year, and whenever he returns, he shares his catch with lucky neighbors.  His most recent catch was a large red snapper.  He gave me a big piece.  One night I just grilled it.  It was so moist and tender.  With the leftovers, I made red snapper salad.  It just like the wonderful whitefish salad that you get in Jewish delis,  a cold salad meant to spread on bagels.  It is so delicious.  I said to myself, "Why not do the same thing with the red snapper?"  It came out fantastic.  I just made another batch to take to  golf tournament, followed by appetizers and cocktails.  I'm going to serve it with pieces of matzo.  I hope everyone likes it.  Here's the recipe for you to try.  If you have a little piece of any cooked white fish, you can use it to make this recipe.

                                 Red Snapper Salad

1/2 pound red snapper, seasoned with salt and pepper, and cooked, about 5 minutes on each side

mayonnaise
sour cream
4 scallions chopped
1 large T. horseradish (in a jar)

Let the cooked fish cool, then put in a bowl and flake it.  Add all other ingredients, and blend well.  The fish will continue to flake into little pieces as you mix it.  The amount of mayo and sour cream is  just enough to make it moist and creamy.  I probably use about 3 large tablespoons of mayo and about half that amount of sour cream.  No need to add salt if you seasoned the fish before cooking.  You're going to love this dip.  Use it as an appetizer dip or spread it on bagels and make it a sandwich.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment