Friday, March 19, 2021

Can't Clean That Dirty Pan? Try This

 I have several old, really old pyrex and corning pans that I just love.  I have had them for over 50 years and they haven't broken or chipped, but they are dirty looking.  UTube to the rescue.  I just decided to look on UTube to see if anyone had a great solution to cleaning dirty pans.  I found this.

Take your dirty pan, fill it all the way to the top with hot water and a little dishwashing soap.  Lay a few dryer sheets on top of it and let it sit overnight.   Empty and rinse pan, and lightly scrub remaining food or discoloration.  You will be shocked at how new and beautiful your pan looks.  I did this with an old pan, and although it didn't look brand new, it look better than it has in years.  If you do this with a pan that is just somewhat dirty, the results will surprise you.  

This led me to wonder what on earth is in dryer sheets that could clean pans so well.  I looked at the dryer sheet package, and it doesn't list the ingredients, so I went to the internet.  Here's what I found.

Dryer sheets contain many ingredients, but the most common are:

  • dipalmethyl hydroxyethylammoinum methosulfate, a softening and antistatic agent
  • fatty acid, a softening agent
  • polyester substrate, a carrier
  • clay, a rheology modifier, which helps control the viscosity of the coating as it begins to melt in the dryer
  • fragrance                            
  • The fragrance used in dryer sheets can cause asthma and other health problems, but most chemicals in dryer sheets do not appear to be harmful to humans.  All chemicals are not toxic, but many health officials feel that chemicals in general could be harmful.  I found this interesting, I hope you did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment