Monday, March 22, 2021

The New Embarcadero








 Fran and I, always looking for something fun and safe to do, went to the Embarcadero area of San Diego to check out what was new.  Oh my.  I hadn't been there in almost a year, and so much has changed.  We started with a drive up and down India St. and Kettner Ave.  There is so much building going on there.  Lots of new restaurants, apartments and condos and businesses.  On India St. all the restaurants are rebuilding outdoor space, taking much of the street to do it, so traffic is slow.  Our destination, however, was the area around the Embarcadero, specifically the space where Anthony's Seafood used to be, right next to The Star of India.

The space is now owned by The Brigantine Restaurant Group.  It's a very large space.  It opened in February, and if I'm any judge, the three restaurants they have opened will be a huge success.  First, who doesn't love the Brigantine?  This restaurant, inside and out, is gorgeous.  If you are lucky enough to get a table on the water (right on the water), what a view you've got.  I felt like I was on a cruise ship, looking out at the Pacific Ocean.  Inside, it is contemporary with lots of lights, very sleek.  The whole restaurant is open, so dining inside and out is safe, as far as I'm concerned.

Above the Brigantine is a new concept called Top of the Sail.  It's small plates and tapas.  I didn't eat there, but it is so beautiful I must go back for a meal.  Again, the decor is casual.  You feel like you're on the deck of a cruise ship. 

Finally, next door is Miguel's a Mexican restaurant managed by The Brigantine.  I cannot describe how gorgeous this restaurant is too.  Stop in for cocktails and some of their delicious white cheese dip and chips.  Fran and I each bought a pint and brought it home.($5).

I don't know what design company did the interior spaces in these restaurants, but one is prettier than the next.  Lunch, drinks, or dinner here and you will feel like you've really been somewhere!  Go now, before the warm weather when it will be packed.  It was a long time since Anthony's closed, but the wait was worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment