Friday, May 7, 2021

Changes I've Noticed Post Pandemic

 We are in transition right now, moving from lockdown and isolation, to social interaction in a responsible way.  I had my first opportunity to play in person bridge with neighbors recently.  Here's what I noticed.  

I could not fall asleep that night.  It was at least three hours before I finally got to sleep.  I could not calm down my mind.  No, it wasn't the bridge that wound me up.  It was the social interaction with people, after such a long time, that got my mind going.  I had not expected this reaction to being in a social situation again.  I've been out with friends for lunch, walks, golf, pickleball, and afternoon gatherings for quite a while now, but spending 4-5 hours at someone's home, unmasked, playing bridge, eating and drinking and talking, was just different.

After such a long lockdown, hours of talking to people in person is hard.  It is tiring, but it is also exhilarating.  We talked about travel plans, plans to have dinner parties, plans to get back to live bridge at the bridge club.   I came home thinking about it all, and just couldn't get to sleep.

So, even though I felt I had survived the pandemic without feeling isolated, I guess I was wrong.  Talking or texting to friends and family on the phone is NOT the same as in person, intimate conversations.  It is something we all need.  Be aware you too may feel euphoric when you experience an evening in someone's home.  It really is so important, and so necessary for our well being.   Let's stay safe and continue to move toward "normalcy."  It's vital to our mental health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment