Monday, May 10, 2021

Reviving Dried Figs (or any dried fruit)

 A while ago I bought an expensive bag of dried figs at Sprouts.  Somehow they got stuck in the back of the pantry and I didn't notice them for months.  I found them one day, tried one, and almost threw the whole bag out.  They were terrible.  I thought maybe if I reconstituted them, I could revive them.

It worked.  Here's what I did.  I put them in a pot, covered them with water, and added the following:  a little honey and vanilla.  You could also put slices of lemon and/or orange in the pot.  Cook on simmer for about 10-15 minutes.  I transferred them to the refrigerator when they were cool, waited about 2 days to eat them, giving the syrup time to thicken.  OMG they are delicious.  You can do the same thing with old prunes or apricots, or anything dried.  It's not necessary to let the juice thicken, but they are so much better.  I use plain yogurt  topped with a few figs and some of the syrup, for a delicious lunch.

Don't throw things away.  There's always a way to save old food.  We already waste close to 30% of the food we purchase, if you can believe that.  It's true.  Let's salvage what we can.  


No comments:

Post a Comment