Friday, March 11, 2022

Living With Coyotes

 It seems like the coyote problem in my neighborhood keeps getting worse and worse.  Hardly a week goes by that a small dog or cat isn't snatched from someone's backyard or attacked while out walking.  I am not so concerned about coyote attacks during the day, although anything is possible, but at night when I have to take Pepper out I am scared to death.

Coyotes can hide in bushes.  They often work in groups to find their prey.  Last night I carried a broom with me.  A friend of mind had a loud horn which she carries, another friend carries bear spray.  I was walking home from the clubhouse last night and heard what sounded like 5-6 coyotes laughing it up.  You know what that means.

So how do we co-exist with these wild animals that live here?  Setting traps and relocating them doesn't work.  They always seem to come back to the area they know.  Killing them is not an answer either.

I have read all the articles on how to stay safe from coyote attacks, but there is still tremendous fear in our community walking, especially at dusk or dawn.  I think my temporary solution is going to be a large flashlight ( I don't think they'll like that) and a horn.  The trouble is they are so quick your dog could be gone before you get to toot the horn.  Anyone with experience or ideas, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment