Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup


What warms you up better on a cold winter afternoon than a hot cup of soup? My friend Vivian makes a mean butternut squash soup, and has graciously allowed me to share it with all of you. The beauty of this soup is that except for 2T. of canola (you could cut that to 1T), it's nothing but vegetables. Not only is it healthy, but it's thick and hearty, and oh so pretty. Try this on your family. I think it will become a favorite of theirs, as it has mine.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

2 Tbs. Canola oil
1 Medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
2 Parsnips, peeled and diced
1 Small yellow onion, peeled and diced
6 Sprigs fresh thyme
½ Tsp. Ground coriander seeds
6 cups chicken stock. If you buy the regular College Inn or Swanson that has salt in it, then leave out the 1 ½ tsp, salt.
1 ½ tsp. Salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 Tbs. Champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 Bay leaf

In a large stockpot over medium heat warm the oil. Then add the squash, carrots, parsnips and onion. Cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally until they are slightly tender and warmed through, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, coriander, chicken stock, salt, pepper, vinegar and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs, and puree the mixture in batches in a blender until smooth, 3-5 minutes. Serves 8

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe...I have one last butternut squash in my basket from my garden and I was pondering what to do with it. THIS recipe is just the ticket! PS Read my blog about the "Christmas story" Corey told us at visitation when you get a chance...I was so touched.

    ReplyDelete