Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Get Up, Dress Up, and Show Up

Recently my friend Bob sent me ane-mail. It was one of those slide shows with beautiful photography and nice philosophical sayings that we all get from time to time, but rarely take the few moments to read them. Bob said that this particular one was worth the time, so I opened it. He was right. 45 pictures of beautiful snowy scenes, each one with a little proverb, or words of wisdom. I wrote down a few of the phrases that I felt were particularly inspiring, and the very next day one of those phrases was right in front of me.

I was at my Mom's house, sitting around just chatting, and she told me about an interesting party she had gone to a few days before. She prefaced all this by saying that she really didn't want to go to the party, she didn't think she would know anyone or that it would be very interesting. It was for a volunteer group that she works for through Jewish Family Services, and as much as she loves her work, she really wasn't interested in attending the party.

The caption on one of the snoowy pictures Bob sent me was "No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up." That's excatly what my Mom did. She ultimately decided to go to the party, more out of oblicgation than anything else. She got there and within a few minutes was introduced to a woman named Sandi Fox. Sandi is one of the best known quilt experts on the West Coast. She has curated many quilt shows, so with my mother's interest in art, they had much to talk about. Sandi also happens to be a real Anglophile, and when my mother mentioned she was going to London soon, the two had another connection. They already have plans to have lunch when my mother returns from her trip so that Sandi can hear all about it.

So a new friendship was formed at an event that my mom almost didn't even go to. The phrase "Get up, dress up and show up" is important for us all to remember. We never know where or when we will me someone new and interesting. When I was young my grandmother used to say to me, "You're never going to meet Mr. Right sitting in the house. Get out and do something." That was her advice 50 years ago and I still hear her words. I did meet Mr. Right, but I remember my grandmothers words because there are so many interesting people still to meet. Every day is a new opportuntiy to get out and meet people. Who knows where or when you'll meet someone that will become part of your circle friends? Kudos to Mom for getting up, dressing up and showing up.

1 comment:

  1. Tοuсhe. Outstanding аrguments.
    Kеep up the grеat work.

    my wеblοg :: free fashion games

    ReplyDelete