Thursday, December 16, 2010

How Far Would You Go For A Great Meal?

When I was young and newly married, we lived a very exciting life. Off to San Francisco on the spur of the moment, or Las Vegas for a quick weekend. We were spontaneous, as much as two working people could be. Ron went to San Francisco almost every month for business, and often he would call and ask me to come up and have dinner with him. That was so much fun. We went to the best restaurants, our favorite being a little Italian place I can't even think of the name of. We went to Vegas often too, but at that time Las Vegas was not the food haven it is now. For a special treat we'd eat at the Bacchanal Room. What a feast.

My foodie friends and I decided to drive to LA one day for lunch. I had told my friends about my new favorite eatery, Pizzeria Mozza, in West Hollywood. Several women decided we should make a day of it, and we sure did. Seven of us got together and spent the day driving and eating. When we were'nt driving and eating, we talked about what we ate. I have blogged about this restaurant before, but I will tell you again how great this place is.

Pizzeria Mozza is owned by a partnership that includes Mario Batali, and his touch is everywhere. The pizzas really shine. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. We had the funghi misti pizza (several different types of mushrooms+ parmesean cheese) which is my favorite. Another pizza had burrata cheese and carmelized peppers and onions. Most pizzas are around $18. The appetizers are really unique. We had fried cauliflower in a slightly spicy dipping sauce, calamari that was grilled and seasoned with garlic, olive oil and lots of herbs, and a canellini bean bruschetta that was delicious. The chopped salad was as good as I've ever had, and the beautiful tower presentation added to the appeal. We left happy and stuffed, and spent a grand total of $23 per person.

So how far would you go for a great meal? Would you drive two hours to Los Angeles? I would! I did!. Would you fly to San Francisco? I did! Would you fly to New York for dinner? I think I might do that if given the opportunity. Would I fly to Paris for dinner? Definitely not. Ron and I talked about that many times, but we never even came close to doing it. At this stage in my life it seems like way to much work, but a couple of hours in a plane or car for a really great meal, now that I would do. If you've got some fantastic place and want to go, call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment