Thursday, June 28, 2012

Does Acupuncture Really Work?

Acupuncture is an alternative medicine methodology, originating in China, that treats the patient by the manipulation of thin needles that are inserted into pressure points in the skin.  Stimulating these  points can correct imbalances in the flow of qi (energy) through channels, called meridians. 

After suffering for 5 years with knee and leg pain, visiting 4 orthopaedic surgeons both in San Diego and Los Angeles, and having 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my knee, I am no better.  I've had physical therapy, deep massage, cortisone injections and another series of injections that involve a rooster.  I've also tried homeopathic remedies and magnets.  The only improvement has been deep massage and a jacuzzi jet sprayed directly on my knee, and the relief is only temporary.  So, I decided to turn to an alternative. 

Many years ago I saw a documentary on TV that blew my mind.  Doctors in China were performing open heart surgery on a man using acupuncture as the only anesthesia.  Unless this film was altered, the results were amazing.  The patient was conscious and talking to the doctors throughout the operation, and he felt no pain.  I figured if acupuncture could do this, it was certainly worth a try. 

I started my treatments about 3 weeks ago.  I think I feel better.  Is it real or just that I want it to work so badly that I think I feel better?  I can tell you one thing.   Immediately after the acupuncture treatment the swelling below my knee is gone.  Unfortunately so far, it doesn't last.  I plan to continue with about 4 more treatments,  to give it a fair shot.  I do believe there is some improvement, but as I say, it doesn't last.

Acupuncture is thousands of years old.  It was possibly discovered during some war, when men wounded in battle by arrows were believed to have been cure of chronic afflictions that were otherwise untreated.  Sharpened stones found in China indicate that acupunture may have been practiced as early as the Stone Age.  Improvement in metals led to replacement of stone and bone needles with metal.  Acupuncture spread from China to Korea, then on to Japan and the rest of the world. 

Studies on the effectiveness of acupuncture are inconclusive.  It is difficult to evaluate.  Most doctors practicing Western medicine do not endorse it.  That, however, may be because of ignorance.  Few have studied acupuncture or seen it in action.  I do know that it is not yet covered on most health insurance plans, however the IRS (starting in 1973) allows expenses for acupuncture to be taken as a medical deduction. 

My philosophy about health issues is this.  Try the traditional Western approaches that work so well for so many.  If that doesn't work, then investigate alternative treatments.  I have discovered that all ailments are not curable.  There are many disease and conditions that we know next to nothing about.  My particular condition may be just that, and if it is, I'll just do the best and live with it, knowing that I have tried everything available.  I will leave no stone unturned. (after several weeks of treatment I am no better.  I feel better immediately after treatment but it just doesn't last)

No comments:

Post a Comment