Friday, June 29, 2012

I've Got Shingles

A few days before I was going to Boulder to visit my kids and grandkids, an ugly red rash appeared on my left shoulder.  It didn't hurt right way but I had a feeling from start it was Shingles.  By the time I got to the dermatologist on Tuesday morning, the rash had spread, lots of blisters had formed, and pain and itching was constant.  The doctor confirmed my suspicions.  I had shingles.

Shingles is a viral infection caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox.  Anyone who has had chicken pox can develop shingles.  The virus remains dormant in certain nerve cells of the body until reactivates.  About 20% of those who have had chicken pox will get shingles, usually only once.  Shingles might be caused by a temporary weakness in immunity caused by lack of sleep or stress.  I have no idea why shingles decided to rear it's ugly head in me right now.  I had the shingles shot last year, but all that does is give me a lighter case. 

 The symptoms ofshingles can last for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. This means the burning, itching, tingling, or extreme sensitivity could be around for quite a while.  Headaches, fever and electrical shocks can hang around far too long.  Luckily I started medication quickly, so my symptoms shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, due to the contagious nature of shingles for youngsters that have not yet been vaccinated for chicken pox (my granddaughter is only 5 months old) I had to cancel my trip.  Everyone was disappointed, but in a few weeks time  I'll reschedule.  What's the point of visiting grandchildren and not being able to hug and kiss them because of possible infection?  I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Anyway, I missed the 100 degree temperatures and the destructive fires that have been burning this week.  I'll go to Boulder when I'm better, the temperature is better, and the air quality is back to normal. 

Don't think that just because you had the shingles shot you are home free.  You're not.  I t just means that if you're unlucky enough to get shingles, you'll have a milder case. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I know this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.

    Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a massive
    amount work? I'm completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start
    a blog so I can easily share my own experience and feelings online.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new
    aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    Also visit my web page Read the Full Post

    ReplyDelete