Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Did You Get YOur Driver's License At 16?

I remember the day I turned 15 1/2.  I was down at the DMV as soon after school as my mom could get me there.  I couldn't wait to get my learner's permit.  My parents were great at allowing me to practice driving during the time I had my learner's permit.  By the time my 16th birthday came around, I was a pretty good driver, and ready to go get my permanent license.  My mom had promised me she would take me to the DMV after school on the day of my birthday.  She did, and I passed the test with flying colors.  I was now free to drive one of my parents' cars whenever they were available.

Fast forward 55 years, and take a look at a typical 16 year old today.  Many teens are not so excited about getting their license.  In fact, only about 75% of young adults between the ages of 20-24 have a drivers license, compared to 91% of that age group driving 30 years ago.  Why aren't teens so excited about driving?  I know for me it was a really big deal.  The license, and of course terrific parents who let me use the car whenever I wanted, meant freedom.  I could turn up the music and cruise Hollywood Blvd. or go to Truman's drive in after school for french fries and a coke.

What is it about society today that makes driving less important for teens?  I think much of it has to do with mobile phones and texting.  From a very early age, kids have the ability to stay connected with friends through phone and text.  They are essentially free, because parents are not listening to their conversations (for the most part), and this makes kids feel independent.  Maybe parents should know what their kids are texting.  Perhaps this is how many of them get into trouble, but that's a topic for another time.  When kids do turn 16, they have services like Lyft and Uber to take them where they want to go, for very little money.  Back in our day, we had to work all summer to pay for insurance and gas money.  Also, kids like to drink, and the fact that they are taking Uber instead of driving while drunk, is a very good thing.  Statistically there are less cases of drinking and driving among teens since Uber and Lyft came along.

My kids were still in the generation where they couldn't wait to drive.  They all got their licenses on their 16th birthday.  But my niece, just 8 years younger than my youngest child, didn't get her license for several years after her 16th birthday.  She just wasn't that interested in driving.  My thought is that through phone and text, most kids already have a life separate from their parents, and feel very independent.  They no longer need the car to get that feeling.  Any thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment