Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Rediscovering Firefly in Encinitas

It's been years since I dined at Firefly, and now that I've rediscovered it, I'm sorry it took me so long.  We were dining with friends Laurie and George one Friday night, and I asked Laurie to pick the restaurant.  I wasn't in a decision making mood.  She said, "Meet us at Firefly in Encinitas,"  and I'm glad we did.>p.

We walked into a dimly lit room, great for me on that particular night, as my face was recovering from a chemical peel to remove pre-cancerous spots.  I hope it's working, as my face looks like a train wreck.  The restaurant was just about full.  We were seated at a quiet corner table, great for us, as we could all hear each other.  I loved my dinner, as did the others I dined with.

We began with a nice glass of wine, and a basket of warm bread and butter, and breadsticks.  It was difficult for me to choose a starter, as there were so many things to choose from.  Dates wrapped in bacon, beet salad, romaine wedge, chopped with lots of blue cheese crumbles and bacon.  They also had a small order of mussels, red curry chicken wings, grilled flat bread, and Spanish meatballs.  For my entree I chose a seared sea bass on a bed of risotto.  It was perfectly cooked and delicious.  Laurie had the short ribs, a hearty dish of well cooked short ribs and vegetables.  Ron ordered the rack of lamb, his favorite, and was not disappointed.  George opted for the Firefly burger, which looked wonderful.  We were all stuffed, but George and Ron wanted more.  They both ordered the berry cobbler, one served with cinnamon gelato, the other with vanilla ice cream.  The cobbler was good, but the cinnamon gelato was exceptional.  I don't know how much cream was in the gelato, but it sure was rich and creamy.

  Good food does not come cheaply.  The bill for the four of us was $190 before the tip, but well worth it.  Next time you want a great meal, think about Firefly.


No comments:

Post a Comment