Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Stone Brewery: Much More Than Just Beer

A visit from my mom would not be complete without some fabulous meals.  I picked mom up at the train station on a Thursday at noon, and we drove to Stone Brewery in Escondido.  I had been wanting to dine there for a long time, but something had always come up.  It's a little off the beaten path, but only 20 minutes from my house.  Now with a new location at Liberty Station, Stone Brewery is convenient to everyone in San Diego.

First, the building in which the brewery, gardens, tap room and restaurant are housed, is gorgeous.  Lots of granite, rock, glass and wood are present, and light filters into the restaurant wherever you are.  The gardens are beautiful, with fire pits, beautiful Adirondeck chairs, and benches randomly placed around the garden area.  There are water features too, with fish and turtles.  Sitting in that environment having a wonderful farm to table lunch or dinner will make you forget you're anywhere near a big city.

For those so inclined, brewery tours are available, followed by tasting.  They also have a tap room available for tasting.  I am not a beer drinker, so this is of no interest to me, but I was surprised by the huge bar filled with people at 2pm in the afternoon.  We went for lunch, and enjoyed a few very tasty dishes.  We shared everything.  I am not a fan of brussel sprouts, but I am now.  The brussel sprouts were cooked with honey, vinegar and  pancetta, until they were crispy on the outside.  Absolutely fantastic.  We had a wilted spinach salad with goat cheese which was absolutely delicious.  We also had the pork ribs with a nice spicy sauce, and a side of kim chee.  The kim chee was too spicy for us, so our waitress brought us an other of smashed potatoes and garlic.  Very good.  It was an exceptional lunch, and I can't wait to go to their other location at Liberty Station for lunch or dinner.  They have a little different menu, and have a wonderful happy hour.  Additionally, Stone Brewery is such a huge space that it offers rooms for private parties and weddings.  What a beautiful setting, and wonderful food to boot.  I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment