Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Day In Corona

To celebrate my birthday, and the birthday of my niece Alison, I got together with my mom and sister Madeleine in Corona.  Corona is about 60 north of Oceanside on the 15 freeway, past Temecula, Murietta and Lake Elsinore.  The only time I'd ever been to Corona before today was to go to Glen Ivy, a day spa, several years ago.  We met at a shopping center on Temescal Canyon Road, had lunch together, and lots of lively conversation.

Since we all live in different directions, we try to find someplace in the middle, and Madeleine decided we would have lunch at Taps, a very nice restaurant in Corona.  The shopping center also has Miguel's, and another upscale restaurant, so there's  quite a bit to choose from.

Taps has a varied menu, and for the most part, the food was excellent.  We started with a cheese plate with several cheeses, olives, pickled onions, and roasted garlic.  It was beautiful and delicious.  Madeleine and Alison each had the lobster bisque (a pretty skimpy cup, if you ask me), then they shared the pear and endive salad, which was excellent.  Mom had the ahi tuna starter.  It was creatively served in a fried won ton shell, like a taco.  She loved it.  I was the only one who was not happy with my meal.  I ordered a butternut squash and quinoa salad topped with burrata.  It looked delicious, but when I tried the burrata, it was terrible!  It had been whipped, and actually tasted like whipped cream.  I returned the salad, and ordered a very nice wedge, which I was much happier with.  For dessert we ordered the red velvet cake.  It is cooked to order in a black skillet, and finished table side.  Cream cheese frosting, vanilla ice cream, nuts and fresh fruit are placed on top, then everyone digs in.  It was delicious, and with four of us  sharing one dessert, we each had a little taste.

I must say the help in the restaurant was apologetic  for my salad.  The chef even came out to talk to me.  He told me he was trying to do something creative, and I told him he should leave the burrata alone!  We discussed politics, the drought and the power of positive thinking, among other things.  We always have some lively discussions.

We decided to meet again soon in LA, and do it all again.  It's a long drive for lunch, but it's so nice to get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment