Friday, March 31, 2017

Every Day Is Valentine's Day For Me

Every day is Valentine's Day for me, so when February 14 rolled around it was just another day.  Our Valentine's Day is just another day, except for the extra effort I put into making a wonderful dinner.  No expensive flowers, chocolates or gifts.  During the year Ron often stops at a florist and brings me a little something, for no particular reason.  Or he'll stop at a French bakery and bring me an apple tart or a meringue.

This Valentine's Day I had some nice swordfish steaks in the freezer that I barbequed and just served with a lemon wedge.  I made asparagus and fresh creamed corn to accompany the fish.  Here's my recipe for creamed corn, which was just fabulous, as good as you'd get at Morton's, Flemmings, or Ruths Chris.  Here's how I made it.  Loaded with calories, but so worth it.

                           Fresh Creamed Corn

3 ears of fresh corn, scraped off the cob
juice from the cobs, scraped with a paring knife, for extra sweetness
1T. flour
2tsp. sugar
1T. butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, and cook for 10-15 minutes.  The corn will thicken, and if it gets too thick, add a little more cream or milk to thin it out.  That's it!  You're gonna love this.  For extra deliciousness, add a few tablespoons of parmesean cheese at the very end, and mix until it melts in.  This dish can also be made with canned or frozen corn, but using the fresh corn is far better.  In California you can get fresh corn almost all year round, so use fresh corn.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment