Monday, March 27, 2017

Breath Mints For Dogs

p>I just spent over $650 and put my dog through quite a trauma, but he came out with wonderful breath, so he won't be needing these mints for awhile.  I've had Pepper for over 5 years, and have been aware that one of his canine teeth had a hole in it and would eventually have to come out.  I kept putting it off. I had gentle cleaning done on him about two years ago, but that does not get the plaque and tartar that accumulates around the gum line.  My vet had told me he needed to have his teeth cleaned, which involves putting him under a general anesthetic, and that he would be having a dental sale in February, so I've been waiting for the sale.  When I called to find out how much the teeth cleaning would be I almost fainted.  $750 was the discounted price, and with extractions it could run $1,000 or more.  I decided to do some comparison shopping.  I ended up changing vets, not just because of the price of the teeth cleaning, but EVERYTHING was expensive.  I love the new vet, and his teeth were cleaned, including 5 extractions, for about $650.  What a deal.

So, for now Pepper's breath is kissing sweet, but that probably won't last.  I will try to brush his teeth regularly if he let's me.  In the mean time, I just made a batch of doggie breath mints.  The recipe is courtesy of my dog park friend Mirme.  Her dog Carly and Pepper are best friends!.  Here's the recipe.

                               Doggie Breath Mints

1/2 c. rolled oats, uncooked
1/2 c. parsley, well chopped
1 T. water

Mix all ingredients until well blended, then roll the dough into pea size pieces and place on a cookie sheet.  Transfer to the freezer until frozen, then pop them in a plastic bag.  They are ready for use.  Give dog 2 mints to eliminate bad breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment