Friday, August 11, 2017

Great Coffee at Philz

A few months ago I discovered a new coffee bar in Encinitas, Philz Coffee.  I was shocked when I walked in a saw the prices.  $3.50 for a small coffee, $4.50 for a large coffee.  Specialty drinks run even higher.  I must say I was impressed with Philz, and even though the cost is dear, it's a treat I will indulge in often.

Philz 20+ customized blends of coffee are roasted in Oakland, California, and ground to order for each customer.  Their mission at Philz is to better people's days, and I believe with their coffee, sweets and open face sandwiches, they achieve their mission.

Every time I walk by Philz with Fran, on our Saturday walks, there's a line out the door.  We finally made a plan to go there and wait, regardless of the length of the line.  The menu of various coffee and tea blends is overwhelming.  They have named each blend, and told you the flavors you might  taste in each blend, much like is done with wine.  For example, Jacobs Wonderbar is a dark blend with a taste of dark chocolate, smoke and nuts.  Ether is another dark blend with the flavor of toffee, cherry and cinnamon.  If you prefer a medium blend, you might try Tesora.  It tastes of carmel, nuts and butter.  Or, try Philharmonic, a taste of cardomom, maple and earth.  On the lighter side, Canopy of Heaven tastes of citrus, herbs and strawberry.  In addition to hot coffee and tea, Philz offers a variety of cold drinks, and some very nice sweets and open faced sandwiches.  Fran and I tried the avocado toast, for $5.50.  It was delicious.  Smashed avocado on toast, topped with herbs and spices, and a sliced hard boiled egg.

Philz has about 5 locations in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and 2 locations in Washington, D.C.  Now they're in Encinitas, and I predict you will see many more location in the months to come.  Friendly, knowledgeable baristas make a visit to Philz an enjoyable, yet pricey experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment