Friday, July 27, 2018

Planning For The Future

When Ron and I were first married, we made lots of plans.  We saved money, bought our first house with help from Mom and Dad, and we were on our way.  Five houses later, three wonderful children  and five grandchildren later and multiple  trips to countries all over the world, we achieved most of what we planned for.

Now, at 75 and 73 years of age, we still have plans, but I find planning for the future is quite different.  We have many health issues to consider, so driving trips are always easiest.  We plan to go to Las Vegas in July (driving), and assuming that is successful, we will fly to Denver in late August to see kids and grandkids.  I have just been told that I need a knee replacement on my right knee, so I am planning for that.

Out of nowhere my right knee began hurting, so much so that I was close to tears.  X rays revealed severe osteoarthritis, among other problems.  So I'm now planning for how I can take care of my own medical needs while still taking care of Ron.  My friend Phyllis from the dog park gave me a suggestion that I intend to follow.

I will first make a list of my needs.  I will consider options for after care.  Who will help me?  Where will I stay, home or after care facility?  After I figure that out, I need to figure out care of my dog (list of several options for his care) and care for Ron (again, several options).  This will be a big list!  So much to think about.  When we have someone else who is relying on us for help,  we often ignore our own needs.  I have found that this is NOT a good idea.  Caregivers need to take care of themselves, so I am going to do what I must and get this knee repaired.  I will feel better and happier (living with pain is a bitch) and be a better everything(caregiver, wife, daughter, mom, grandma).  That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.  Thanks, Phyllis, for the great suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment