Friday, September 30, 2022

Ben and Esther's Vegan Jewish Deli!

 Marilyn called me recently and asked me if I wanted to try the new vegan deli that had just opened in Oceanside.  I scratched my head, wondering how food filled with animal products and schmaltz, could produce plant based lox, corned beef and brisket. They've actually pulled it off.

Ben and Esther's is from Portland, where they have 2 successful locations, plus a store in Seattle and now 2 in San Diego.  I went there once, liked what I had, but would not rush to go again.  I'm not a vegan.  I like my animal protein, and if I'm going to eat a corned beef sandwich, I want the real thing.  The plant based proteins don't really taste like the real thing, but they're ok.  If you don't eat animal products, then this is a great alternative, but  if you do, there's no substitute for the real thing.

The food is made from soy and tempeh.  The corned beef is made from peppery layers of tempeh.  The lox is made from a pickled carrot preparation, and the whitefish is made from hearts of palm.  The marble rye is good, and the bagels looked good, although I didn't try one.

My conclusion is that I am not, nor will I ever be a vegan, unless someone tells me the little animal protein I eat is killing me, and then I may eat it anyway.  If you are a vegan, Ben and Esther's is probably as good as it gets.


No comments:

Post a Comment