Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Red Cross Gives Home Fire Safety Tips

I was at a health fair in July, and the Red Cross had a booth, telling visitors that they would come out to your house and install smoke detectors.  I thought that was a great idea, so I signed up, and about a month later, the Red Cross came to my house.  They will install a minimum of one smoke detector on each floor of your house, but recommend one smoke detector for every bedroom.  That's what I did.  I also had them install a carbon monoxide detector in the den.  I'm all set.  The batteries in the smoke detector should last for ten years, but they advise checking them once a year.  The carbon monoxide batteries have to be changed every year, or whenever the damn thing chirps.

Besides installing these life saving detectors, the two gentlemen that came over, gave me great information on fire safety, escape plans, safety checklists, and wildfire safety checklists.  Here are a few things I learned.

Every home should have a home fire escape plan.  Your family should practice your escape plan at least once a year.  The goal is to have everyone out of the house, including pets, in two minutes.  Practice makes perfect.  

Everyone in your home should know two ways to escape from each room.  One might be crawling out a window, another might be a door.  Yes, if your life depended on it, you could get out the window.  Make sure the window can easily be opened.  I had a dresser in front of the window which I have now moved.  If you hear the smoke detector go off, get low and go!  Decide with your family where you will all meet once outside.  Do not go back in the house.  Call 911 AFTER everyone is safely out of the house.

I was also given information on how to keep my home safe, and what to do in case of a wildfire.  Great information, and thank you to the Red Cross for providing this service.  It is probably available in your area too.  Just call your local Red Cross office for more information.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment