Monday, November 7, 2022

Senior Dating In The 21st Century

 Have I mentioned how much I dislike the process of online dating?  Well, I don't like it!  It is such hard work, and so far, the results have been underwhelming.  My recent coffee date at Monarch in Del Mar, which I had high hopes for, turned out to be disappointing.

I read Lew's profile online, and he seemed to be someone I had a lot in common with.  Politically liberal, Jewish (but not practicing), travelled around the world, divorced, no children, lives in Marina area downtown San Diego, sounds promising. 

When he first walked into Monarch, I could see that he was having some difficulty.  He was taking small steps and just didn't look like a fit, active man.  That's because he wasn't!  BTW, Monarch is a great to meet for drinks and snacks in Del Mar.  Great food, beautiful view, good vibe, but I digress.  We sat at an outdoor table, great view of the ocean, quiet and so perfect, until I started to find out more about him.

Lew was married for 16 years, and just recently divorced.  That means that he was single until he was 60.  That's kind of a red flag for me.  Anyway, he moved to San Diego in 2004, but still most of his good friends are from New Jersey, where he grew up.  Not much of a social life here.  We talked a little about politics, travel and food, and were having a nice time, until he mentioned his heart attack a few years ago, his low back problem which will probably lead to back surgery, and one other major health issue I can't remember.  You have probably figured out what I was thinking.

So I had decided early on that we would split the check on this first date, since I had picked the time and place.  That was, until he started ordering food.  I ordered a glass of wine and a farro bowl with butternut squash and brussels sprouts ($5) which was delicious.  He order 12 oysters to start, followed by a bowl of crispy brussels sprouts, glass of wine, cookies and coffee for dessert.  I decided to let him pay the bill.

He wants to come visit Ocean Hills with the prospect of moving here.  Oh, no.


No comments:

Post a Comment