Monday, February 20, 2023

One Of My Favorite Appetizers Ever


 When I was growing up, my parents entertained quite a lot.  Every dinner party began with drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the living room, followed by a delicious  dinner.  When I was young, I would help pass the hors d'oeuvres, and one of my favorites was a mayonnaise, parmesean cheese and onion mixture that was spread on tiny bread rounds and placed under the broiler.  I liked to pass them to her guests, because when they cooled off, I would eat the leftovers, before getting some hot hors d'oeuvres for the guests.  I have remembered this specific hors d'oeuvres all these years, 60 years, yet I have never made it, until now.

Why now?  Well, that's a funny story.  The hors d'oeuvres are made on tiny rounds of very thin sliced bread.  The bread is from Pepperidge Farms, and is extremely hard to find in Southern California, so I ordered a loaf on Amazon, and paid $13.99 for one loaf!

Here's the recipe for these delicious hors d'oeuvres that you won't be able to stop eating.

                                    Mayonnaise, Parmesean Cheese, Onion Rounds

White bread (very thin) Pepperidge Farm bread

1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayonnaise)

3/4 cup parmesean cheese (use a little more cheese if desired)

1/3 cup finely diced onion

Cut each piece of bread into 4 small rounds (I used a cookie cutter)  You could also use a small water glass to cut rounds)

Spread each round with the mayo mixture.  Place on cookie sheet and place under broiler until golden brown.  Remove and eat!!  They are delicious!!!

This recipe is more than 60 years old but still one of the best hors d'oeuvres ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment