Thursday, March 10, 2011

All Politics Is Local

This is a phrase commonly used in politics today. It was coined by longtime Speaker of the House Tip O'Neil many years ago. I love it because it's so true, but I would take it a step further. All change is local.

A few weeks ago I had some friends over to watch a movie. Movies always lead to great discussions, and Jean and Regina were telling me about a local project they have become involved with through their church. It's a program helping recent Iraqi refugees to El Cajon, to help them get jobs, bridge the cultural gap, and create communication and friendship between people of different backgrounds. This is a perfect example of what I mean by "All change is local." We have to start making societal changes one community at a time. Many local changes start through church or synagogue. I remember many years ago when Los Angeles had thousands of Jewish-Russian refugees, the temples were all involved in programs to help them assimilate.

Regardless of what problem you think of, and there are many to think of, the solution can be found locally. Take school bullying, for example. We don't need edics from Washington or Sacramento telling school principals to take steps to stop bullying. Each community should be working on this issue independently, solving it in a local way, that works for them.

Another big issue for me today is the lunch program in most public schools. The government is trying to set new standards, but really we should be working on this at a local level. Every community has different needs. I'm happy to say that many local communities, Encinitas in particular, have made changes to their lunch program and are offering their children better options. My son Phil, sells his burritos to several school districts in Colorado, offering the children a healthy, organic meal. This may not work in West Virginia or Mississippi, so the change has to come locally.

Regina paraphrased Father Mike the other day, when she told me that if bad or evil come your way, it's up to you to turn it around and send it back out there in a positive way. I do believe this.

I have an acquaintance that I no longer go to dinner with because of the way he treated the waiters and waitresses. I guess it made him feel powerful to push them around and demean them. What I should have said to him was what my mother-in-law used to say to Ron. "Always be kind and polite to your waitress or waiter. You don't know if he/she has a sick child at home, is struggling to pay the rent, or what she/he is going through. Always treat them with respect." I should have said this to the guy I no longer go to dinner with, as an example of turning a bad thing into something good.

So remember, all change is local. Here in San Diego we are making a difference locally in so many ways, like The Boys and Girls Club, Community Resource Center, and CASA. We can all make a difference. Yes, we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment