Monday, March 28, 2011

Sixty Third Visit to Taft

As disappointing as last week's non visit was, that's how satisfying this week's visit was. This was the first Sunday I have ever visited. It was a completely different crowd. Over time you get to know the wives and girlfriends, mothers and fathers and friends of the inmates. This week I knew only one person in the room, and she had missed last week because of bad weather too. Sundays are 6 points, whereas Fridays, my regular visiting day, is only 4 points. So, if you want to visit every week as I do, Friday is your visiting day. Of course those that work or have children can't come on Friday, so today was filled with lots of families, and was filled to capacity. The last Sunday of the month, and everyone wants to use up their points, if they still have any left.

I hadn't seen Ron in about 10 days, but it seemed longer. Softball has started and he's been umpiring lots of games, so he had a nice tan on his face. He told me we would have to finish today before 2pm, when he was umpiring another game, so I gladly left around 1:15. Umpiring is one of the things he enjoys most, and I wouldn't want him to miss it. The men all love his enthusiastic, professional style. This is the highlight of his day during softball season. Luckily, softball will be played for most of his remaining time.

One thing I have noticed about Ron, and I assume is true of many of the other men who are like him (constantly thinking) is that he always has a new idea. It may be a simple way to save money or it might be related to a business he wants to start after release. It's always something. I'm happy he's thinking. Many of the men there spend much of their time working on appeals. This is not Ron's case, but several of his friends spend most of their leisure time thinking about their cases. Ron told me many men look forward each month to the day that the new cases are sent to Taft. Each month new cases that have been ruled on are sent to the law library at Taft (sort of a monthly update), for inmates to use when working on an appeal. Ron reads these cases as something to do, and knows the latest decisions on many, many topics.

Ron's got 4 more months to go, I've got 16 more trips to Taft, no more Sunday visits, I'm back to my regular day, Friday. It doesn't sound like much, but I know how the time drags for him. I tried to have him tell me about a typical day.

Up at 6pm, breakfast, then a one mile walk on the track with friends, one hour rest before work in the garden or home improvement class, depending on the day. (next week he's learning about garbage disposals). Then he may watch Vegas on TV, lunch, go to Torah reading (10 minutes), relax and wait until mail call. 3pm is mail call, and even if he doesn't get any cards or letters, he has a subscription to the WSJ and USA Today. The next 2 hours are spent reading, maybe talking to friends, or walking. Dinner is at 5pm, and then he watches a little TV, talks to friends a little and goes to bed early, sometimes as early as 8pm. It's a pretty boring routine, and that's why so many inmates sleep alot. It's not always depression, but often just the fact there's absolutely NOTHING to keep them busy. Unless you are an avid reader or an exercise fanatic, the time goes slowly. Fortunately for me I can keep myself busy, which I do.

We are excited about Ron's impending release. I spent some time telling Ron about all the new restaurants and stores that have opened since he's been gone. He is excited about the opening of 5 Guys, the burger restaurant opening in Encinitas soon. Burgers are his favorite, and he hasn't had one in 15 months, so that will be one of our first visits.

Last week was the first, and I hope only week I was not able to visit Ron because of weather. Spring is here, and it should be smooth sailing from now on. There's so much to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment