Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Eats And Shops In Encinitas

I drive by empty shopping centers,huge spaces where supermarkets or department stores have closed and wonder, "Will they ever rent this space in this economy?" The answer of course is Yes. Just like a house, if you have it on the market for the right price, given time, everything sells. Well, an old shopping center in Encinitas, where Alberson's used to be (on El Camino Real) is getting a new life.

Five Guys, the burger chain from the East Coast, is coming to Encinitas. Horray. It's a good burger, often compared to In and Out, but with fries and coke, it's more expensive. The burger is good, juicy, and has all the trimmings. I found the fries to be greasy, and way too many. However, my guess is they will do well in Encinitas, as we don't really have anything like them. One of the investors in Five Guys is Rancho Santa Fe resident Phil Mickelson. You may go for a burger and run into your favorite golfer!

I have also been told that Chick Fil A is also moving into this center. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I'm sure many of you will be thrilled with this addition to our choice of restaurants.

Another new spot that recently opened is Off the Hook. It is similar to Pelly's in Carlsbad, except that it doesn't have a fish market. It is fresh grilled fish, either on a platter with rice, beans and salad, or in a bowl with veggies and rice, or as a sandwich. They also have fried fish, french or sweet potato fries, several wraps and fish tacos. Nice, new and it all looks very fresh. I can't wait to try it.I have also been told that Chick Fil A is also moving into this center. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I'm sure many of you will be thrilled with this addition to our choice of restaurants.


Finally, Kohl's is coming to the same center, which I am definitely excited about. I have only shopped there in Denver, and find them to have great merchandise at good prices. Look out, Target.

Speaking of Target, the Encinitas location is getting a face lift and an upgrade. They are removing the garden center (It was no competition for Home Depot across the street), and upgrading their food service to include Starbucks and Pizza Hut. Is that an upgrade? I guess it is, even though Pizza Hut is not my personal choice for lunch.

Last but not least, we are patiently awaiting the opening of Whole Foods in the Lumberyard. It is scheduled for a June opening. I can't wait. The center also includes small businesses that are already opening. A high end women's clothing store (excellent) and a home accessory store, with crafts, paintings, painted furniture and jewelry by many local artists are already open for business. Stop in the center and see what's new. My guess is that by the time Whole Foods opens, the spaces will be rented and it will be a great place to shop.

If you have any news about new openings, please let me know so I can let the readers of this blog in on what's new. I always love to try new places, so I'm sure you'll see me at Five Guys. I love a good burger and I can do without the fries. Now when is Burger Lounge coming to North County?

No comments:

Post a Comment