Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Birthday Dinner

I just celebrated my 66th birthday. I should say I'm still celebrating, as I've had no less than 3 dinners and a brunch for the ocassion. Most of the celebrations have been with friends, but one very special dinner included most of my immediate family.

I am alsway in LA on Friday, so my youngest son Phil, planned a quick business trip to Los Angeles to coincide with my time in LA and my birthday. Once I knew he was coming I planned a dinner which included Brian and Beth (oldest son and daughter-in-law), David, Phil, my mom and myself. We rarely get all three sons together, so I decided to make it an adult only evening. I think everyone had a great time. I know I did.

We went to Itzik Hagaddol, a well known Israeli restaurant in Encino. They have restaurants in Haifa and Tel Aviv as well. The evening began when the kids walked into the restaurant with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me. I wasn't expecting that. We all sat down, got comfortable, and got ready for an Israeli feast. The food was delicious. I walked out absolutely bursting at the seems. We began with 20 salads, yes, 20. Hummus, baba ganoush, cabbages salad, egg salad, pickled beet salad, tabouli, eggplant salad, carrot salad, falaffel and a wonderful puffy bread, like pita, but puffed up. This was not all the salads, but it's all I can recall right now, and we could have as many refills as we wanted. Next came the main course. I had a delicious chicken schnitzel, others had lamb kebobs, chicken kebobs, and grilled lamb/beef balls on a skewer. Each dish came with two sides, like rice, potatoes, Israeli salad, or cabbage. I took most of my meal home. I couldn't believe how the people in the restaurant packed away the food. I never saw people eat like this.

We had a great time just being together. I really appreciated an evening with all my children, but was sad that Ron was not with us. He too, was very melancholy that afternoon and evening, knowing that he was missing out on a family gathering.

Brian and Beth ordered a delicious birthday cake for me from Bea's a well known bakery in Encino. Yellow cake, rasperry filling and white frosting with roses. Just what I wanted. It was beautiful, and a sweet ending to a very sweet evening.

It's so important to keep family together, especially when some members are going through hard times. So often families are torn apart during a crisis, but I feel our family has survived our long ordeal and grown stronger in the process. I am grateful to have them all, and they are a constant source of support. Our next family gathering will be when Ron gets home, and as soon as I have a date, I will ask them all to come here for a visit, with the grand children. I can't wait for that. In the mean time, I have great memories of this birthday, with both friends and family. Except for Friday visits with Ron, dinners like my birthday dinner are the moments I cherish most.

No comments:

Post a Comment