Thursday, April 1, 2010

Four Days in Boulder

If you've got grandchildren you know that if you don't see them often they won't remember you, and you will miss so many stages of their development. So I decided I've got to see my grandson every few months of his first year or I will miss everything. I've just spent a few wonderful days in Boulder. Lennon is now six months old, and has changed so since the last time I saw him at three months. He's got teeth, a delightful giggle, and a desire to get moving. He's such fun.

I also know that when I come to visit my kids I will have some memorable meals, both in and out of the house. I arrived on a Saturday afternoon, just in time for a lunch of leftovers. You don't mind leftovers at this house. Phil had made a huge pot of hot and sour soup. It was so authentic and delicious. I will give you his recipe below. He does not cook from a recipe or write anything down, so he's amounts are always a guess. Taste everything and adjust accordingly. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. Most items can be purchased in a regular supermarket. Once you have all the ingredients the soup is quick and easy to make. Also, make a big pot. It will freeze beautifully. Enjoy


Phil's Hot and Sour Soup

6 cups chicken broth
duck breast or chicken breast meat, cubed raw (about 1/2 cup)
1 lb. cubed tofu (firm)
12 shitake mushrooms, dried, quarter and rehydrate in hot water
1/3 cup wood ear fungus- wash (use liquid in the soup)
6 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3Tablespoons srishasha (hot sauce) or to taste...maybe add less and then taste
3/4/cups rice wine vinegar (goes in at the end)
20 dried tiger lilly flowers (rehydrate and shred)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch-mix with water and add at end to thicken
2 eggs, beaten- add at the very end in a thin stream

Simmer broth, add rehydrated items and chicken or duck meat. Cook for 5 minutes, then add soy, sesame oil,vinegar, srishasa and finally cubed tofu. Cook a few minutes, add cornstarch to thicken and finally add the beaten eggs in a thin stream. That's it. Control the heat of the soup with the hot sauce. Be sure to taste. This is a wonderful meal, and very healthy and low in calories. Delete the chicken or duck for an even lower calorie meal. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment