Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Really Fresh Food


Gardening has always been a passion of mine. Many years ago in Los Angeles I became a master gardner, worked in a community garden, and had my own vegetable garden at home where I grew everything from artichokes to zucchini. I loved it. Right now my space is limited, so the best I can do each season is a few tomatoes, some squash, herbs and some fresh lettuce. Luckily for us we don't have to grow our own to have fresh fruits and vegetables every day.

Farmers Markets abound, my favorite being Sunday in Encinitas, at the elementary school on Vulcan. Many local farmers sell their crops here and are delighted to share their knowledge with you. If you happen to be in Santa Monica on a Wednesday, be sure to visit the Farmers Market there. It's about 5 times the size of anything we have here. Many of the best chefs in town, both in San Diego and Los Angeles, shop regularly at the Farmers Markets for their restaurants. Chino Farms is a local favorite in Del Mar where you can buy for your own home use exactly what the best chefs in town are buying for their restaurant. Mille Fleurs in Rancho Santa Fe is just one of the many restaurants that names Chino Farms as the source of their vegetables.

I love restaurants that change the menu according to what's available that day at the market. That tells me the chef is innovative and that the food is fresh and locally grown. Rocket Bistro in North Park is another restaurant that tells you where all the food originates.

Ann Shepphird waited years to get a plot at a community garden in Santa Monica. When she got it, she realized she didn't know what to do or where to go for answers. So she and Janine Warner, a gardner, started www.gardenstotables.com. They created an on line community where ideas and recipes are shared. It features gardening advice, links to classes and restaurants offering farm-to-table dining. Check it out.

There are so many opportunities for us to eat healthy today. Growing our own food (or some of it), eating in restaurants that tell you where the food comes from, or shopping at farmers markets are just a few ways to enjoy good, wholesome food. I'm planting my tomatoes next week, and I can't wait to eat a fresh grown heirloom tomato with buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and a little salt and olive oil. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment