Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who Has A Super Autobiographical Memory?

On December 19, 2010, 60 Minutes aired a segment on a new area of brain research, people with super autobiographical memory. I remember the date because I wrote it down, but the 5 people they interviewed would all have remembered the program if they had watched it, even if it had been 15 years ago.

The fact that these "normal" people could remember every day of their lives, what they did, what they ate, how they felt, including what day of the week each date fell on, was mind boggling. They seem to be able to store an infinite amount of information. These people aren't freaks. If you met them they would seem just like me and you, but they have the remarkable ability to recall every day of their lives in minute detail. They don't struggle to do it, it's just there. As one of the responded when asked how she did it, she said "I don't do anything, it's just there."

Research into the brains of this small group of people is just beginning. They have noticed that all these people have larger than normal temporal lobes and most are left handed. At this point very few people have been diagnosed as having super autobiographical memories, but after the exposure on 60 Minutes, many more will come forward.

One thing I did notice was that all identified people worked in the arts. All have a degree of obsessiveness about them. The other thing that Leslie Stahl pointed out was the all except one were single and not in a relationship. I think posessing this ability might be very hard on a relationship. It's not that these people are smarter, they're not. But they have a special ability to do something most of us can't and that may create problems in a relationship.

I don't know that I'd want to possess this ability. Imagine remembering everything you did and felt on every day of your life? The pain of reliving your teen age years, the break up with boyfriends or husbands, the hurt of losing a loved one. Those emotions would be with you always, called up at a moments notice.

I'll stick with my psychological condition, CRS. You know what that is. Can't Remember Shit. Most people I know have it to some degree, but luckily we've got our friends around to help us remember what we can't on our own.

Seriously though, the research into the brain condition discussed on 60 Minutes is absolutely fascinating. It is being done at UC Irvine. I can't wait to learn more about it. It just amazes me, that in the 21st century where we know so much in the field of science and technology, the brain is still a mystery. Perhaps further research will lead scientists to conlusions that will help in the treatment of Alzheimer's and other brain disorders. I can't wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment