Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yahrzeit for Barney

In the Jewish tradition, a Yahrzeit candle is lit on the first anniversary of the death of a loved one, and every year thereafter. Yahrzeit is Yiddish for "a year's time." On the eve of the first anniversary of the death of a loved one, Jews buy a special candle, a Yahrzeit candle. It is lit and the Mourners Kaddish is recited. The Yahrzeit candle is a special candle, as it will stay lit for 24 hours. The candle flame is often throught of symbolically as the human soul.

Today is the one year anniversary of the death of my beloved dog, Barney. I think of him often, even to this day. Every time I open the garage door I get a little twinge in my stomach, thinking he might be on the other side of the door waiting for me. Those of you who are dog owners and lovers will know what I'm talking about. The rest of you will think what I've said is silly and ridiculous. I think of him on this day and cry over him for the last time (I hope). Little is left around the house to remind me of him, other than the wonderful memories I have. In his last few months he had trouble making it outside. Due to his accidents in the house, I had to have the carpet replaced. The backyard grass that had patches of brown spots has all come back to a beautiful green. The one remaining sign of Barney in the backyard is a little nest he made for himself. Not long after we moved here, Barney found a cool area of the backyard, against the fence and under a shady tree, and moved ivy, dirt and other plants around to make a cute little nest. He would sit out there almost every day and just enjoy the breeze. Every time I go into the yard I see the nest and am reminded of him. I will not disturb that nest. Maybe someday I will have another dog and he will enjoy that same nest. That would make me very happy.

It's been a year since the passing of Barney, and I wrote this to honor him. I just added the information about the Jewish tradition as a way of informing those of you who don't know about it. No, I didn't light a candle or say Kaddish for Barney. I'm not that crazy!

So goodbye Barney. Someone who added so much to life is never really gone. Human or animal, the memories will last forever. Barney, who brought Ron and I so much pleasure is gone, but he will always be in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment