Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mediterranean Kamut Salad


I'm always looking for something new and different, and last year at the Natural Food Expo in Anaheim I discovered kamut. Kamut is an ancient grain, similar to durham wheat. It's hearty, with a nutty flavor that I just love. I wrote about the grain many months ago, but here is my favorite recipe using kamut. What I like most about this recipe is that it is versatile. Whatever you happen to have in the house, that's what you put in this salad. I'll give you the basic recipe, then you tweak it depending on your preferences. I use it as a side dish with any meat, fish or chicken, or sometimes as a main course for lunch with a bowl of soup. Enjoy.

Mediterranean Kamut Salad

2 cups cooked kamut (available in bins at natural food stores. I found it at Henry's. If not available, use wheatberries instead)

1 red pepper diced

1/2 small red onion, diced

1/4 c. kalmata olives, pitted and diced


parsley and cilantro chopped (to taste)

1/4 c. dried cranberries

1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled

2 T. olive oil

2-4 T. balsamic vinegar-start small and add more if needed

Boil a large pot of water, add kamut and cook for 45 minutes. Grain should be well covered with water, as grain will absorb water in the cooking process. Drain kamut and cool.

Put in mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.

Store in a tight container. It will keep for 5-7 days. It is actually better on the second day, as the grain absorbs the oil and vinegar and the flavors meld.

Any vegetable you have on hand can be used in this salad. Cherry tomatoes, seeded cucumbers, pine nuts, pomegranetes and dried cherries are other possible ingredients. I hope you like this as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment