Thursday, January 6, 2011

Breathe Deeply and Appreciate the Moment

This is a quote from a Lululemon shopping bag that I just brought home. I like to support companies that I believe in, and Lululemon is one of those. This is NOT a company whose only goal is the bottom line. Yes, they're a public company and their goal is to make profits and increase the price of their stock, but they are going about it in a kinder, gentler way. Let me explain.

First of all, they sell the highest quality athletic wear out there. Expensive, yes, but worth it, yes. The fit is amazing and the feel is also amazing. I've been reluctant to spend $75 for a pair of yoga pants, but my yoga buddy Barbara put it in perspective. I've been coming to Lululemon regularly for 2 years, every Saturday morning, for a free yoga class. Normally I would pay $10-15 for a yoga class, but with Lululemon's committment to community involvement, I've been taking free yoga every week for 2 years. With all the money I've saved, I can afford to buy their expensive pants. In fact, I just bought 2 pair of pants.

Lululemon's committment to community is a model for other companies to emulate. Not only do they offer free yoga, but they also have free pilates, zumba and barre classes. For those involved in trialathon or marathon training, they have running groups with trainers to help set goals. It's fabulous!

Charitable giving is important to Lululemoon, with each store having the ability to choose charities from their particular community. They're just as likely to give to a little local women's shelter as they are to give to the Salvation Army.

Education is very important to Lululemon. Not only education of their employees, but educating the public in the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. Something important at Lululemon is goalsetting. Employees are encouraged to set short term and long term goals, somethng we all should be doing. They even have a goaltender website to help you along.

www.lululemon.com is the website to check out the company, it's mission, and how it is fulfilling that mission. I love their website. Click on the blog section of the website to learn more about yoga, their international ambassadors, or answers to questions you may have about health and fitness. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that all their products are made in Canada. Lululemon is a Canadian compnay, and everything is made at their plant in Vancouver. Better if they made the clothes in America, but at least it's not China. The workers producing their clothing are making a living wage, and that feels good to me, even if I have to spend more to get it. Everything is a trade off. I'm willing to pay a little extra to get a great product that is made by workers that are paid fairly for their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment