Thursday, November 15, 2012

Long Live The Apple Pan

My mom recently sent me a review of the Apple Pan in Los Angeles, written by one of my favorite new websites, Tasting Table.  They review restaurants from major cities, showcase up and coming chefs, and give the reader lots of recipes.  I especially liked the review of the Apple Pan, because this was one of my favorite spots to eat while I was growing up.

The Apple Pan is on Pico Blvd. in West Los Angeles, right across from the Westside Pavillion.  (there was no westside pavillion when I first started eating there).  It opened in 1947 and is famous for its burgers and apple pie, served with vanilla ice cream.  It consists of a U shaped counter, with food preparation taking place in front of you on the other side of the counter.  It's closed on Mondays, but just about any other day of the week, day or night, it's busy.  If you want a seat and they're all taken, just stand behind someone until they leave.  No hostess to take names, just stand there and wait. 

The Apple Pan is also the model for the very successful burger chain, Johnny Rockets.   Founder Ronn Teitlebaum claimed he used the menu, presentation and counter seating/grilling area as the model for his chain.  The menu at the Apple Pan is small.  2 kinds of burgers, tuna or egg salad, and that's about it.  They serve their burgers with special relish, wrapped in paper.  Cokes are served in the can, and they give you a little metal holder with a paper cup, if you must drink from a cup.  I must mention the pie, since I've had many.  Their apple pie is to die for.  My sister and I used to buy a pie and practically eat the whole thing.  When you get a full pie to go, they give you a styrofoam cup filled with a thick apple juice to pour over the warm pie.  The other pie I absolutely love is their banana cream pie, loaded with tons of fresh whipped cream and lots of bananas.  Delicious.

Many young men and women out on a date used to go to the Apple Pan in the 50's and 60's because they were open until 1am on the weekends.  However, all dates did not end well there.  I know of one man who disliked his date so much that he left the counter on the pretense of using the bathroom, went in the bathroom and climbed out the window.  He never saw his poor date again. 

Oh, those were the days.  In the 1990's, commercial property developers wanted to buy the Apple Pan property and develop it, along with adjacent properties into a big center.  The Apple Pan owners refused to budge, and the result is a large building right next to the little restaurant.  They simply refused to sell, and I'm sure they were offered a pretty penny for the property.  So the restaurant still stands where it has for 65 years, and everyone who lives on the west side in LA has been there.  They're right down the street from 20th Century Fox, so you may even see some stars if you go there.  No matter what, you'll have a great meal at a modest price, and probably get to talk to some interesting people while you're at it.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this...how well I remember going there with my dad. My dad had a shoe store a few blocks away! Actually took Ashlee there a few years ago and we had a 'problem' waiting for a seat, got booted over so someone could sit with their friend, then ended up with only one seat (which we tried to share--basically I was standing and Ashlee was scowling...she was not impressed with dining there). The 'jerk' who took the second seat ended up paying for our lunch, so all in all, a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete