Monday, November 5, 2012

My Personal Journel

The weeks are rolling by. Every Friday around 5pm Ron mentions to me that another week has passed without a call or visit from probation. Just the way we like it. As I've said before, I think they are required to see all of their clients every so often, so a call from probation does not necessarily mean something bad. Ron only has 23 more months of monthly accountability. You might wonder what I mean by accountability. Here's what he does each month. He has to keep a record of EVERY dollar he spends. Rent, food, entertainment, medical, gas, electric, etc. Then he must show his earnings. Probation wants to make sure we aren't spending money irresponsibly. Any item over $500 must be accounted for. Since Ron also has restitution to pay, they're hoping that he makes more than he spends so he can give the rest to the government. With his minimum wage jobs that has not been the case so far. It's just another way of controlling you, and like it or not, this is the system. As Ron said when he first went to prison, you can either get with the program and face reality, or fight it and be miserable. The former is so much easier. So for the next 23 months we are here in San Diego, with occasional trips to Los Angeles to see my mother, and some possible business trips as well. Vacations are in the distant future, as are trips to Colorado to see Phil and his family. If you have to be somewhere, this is sure a great place to be. Our favorite drive is from Poinsettia to Solana Beach, along the coast, a drive we do often. It clears our mind and keeps us focused on the wonderful life we have. As Ron celebrates his 70th birthday in two weeks, I am thankful every day that we chose this city to move to 10 years ago. There are people that say (or think to themselves), how can you be happy with your current life when you lost so much? The answer is simple. I was able to discover what really makes me happy. Unfortunately when you're caught up in a fast paced life you often don't have time to smell the roses. When life slows down, and the thing you look forward to is a beautiful drive along the coast, or a walk along the beach with your husband or a good friend, or meeting friends at the Y and working out together, then sitting and having coffee afterward and solving all the worlds problems, then you know what is important. It's not how big your house is, how many paintings you have on the wall, or how many "things" you own. It's about the relationship you have with the few really important people in your life, and the relationship you have with yourself. I'm not sure I ever knew myself way back when. I was so busy with everything and everyone else in my life that I never had time to think about myself. Now I have plenty of time to think and smell the roses. I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment